Nowadays, an Instagram theme is very important because it helps us convert a user to a follower, for this reason, I’ve decided to create this post.
A lot of people are asking me how they can create a beautiful theme, to be noticed and unique we have to create a personal Instagram theme. I want to share some tips with you on how to create a great Instagram theme and some feeds that I love and will get you inspired.
What is an Instagram theme?
Well, an Instagram theme is when you create a visual constant, so that your pictures will look similar.
What to post
What kind of photos do you like to take? The first step is to decide what you are going to post
Don’t post about EVERYTHING, decide what your feed will be about and stick to your focus. A clear focus will help you gain targeted followers. If your profile is about Fitness, you are not going to post cars pictures, you’re going to post healthy food, exercises etc…
How to shoot
Use high-quality pictures, shot in the daylight. If you cannot shoot them, you can buy stock photos, or you can find some free pictures. If you are a fashion blogger ask someone, a friend, your mom to take a picture of you, shot in the morning when the sun rises, or when the sun goes down, around 5 p.m. Light will help define the details in your photos. If you shoot in the daylight your photos will be very beautiful, clear and not grainy.
Don’t post just any image. If it’s grainy, blurry don’t post it.
Define your picture style.
How to edit
Edit all photos similarly. In order to maintain brand consistency, pick a filter and just use that one.
- Brightness – If you increase the brightness your picture with look more luminous
- Contrast – I increase the contrast to make the color stronger in the pictures.
- Shadows and Highlights – I don’t use these functions very often. However, sometimes when you brighten your picture, you might find that your image loses some details. Increasing your shadow setting will help darken the edges and corners of your objects again.
- Sharpness – If you want to increase the definition of your pictures, to make the details stand out, you should sharpen your pictures a little bit. The result will be more defined.
- Warmth – I don’t like to have yellow colors in my pictures, that’s why I turn the warmth down. I prefer cold colors, in fact, I’m using a cold theme to get consistent. Sometimes you need to use this option to decrease the warmth of your pictures.
- Saturation – Saturation helps you bring the colors out. If you like having pop colors this is the option for you.
What I do
I apply the same filter to all my pictures to have a constant theme. Now that you’ve taken your photos in the same style with your own style rules it’s time to make them look similar. VSCO is my favorite app and you can find so many filters, you can try and test them until you find the best one for you. I really like A5 or H2. If you’re not sure and want to experiment, I recommend you to create a secret Instagram account (just make it private in the settings). Post 8 pictures with the same filter and see the result.
Here you can find some profiles that I love and that you can use as inspiration 🙂
- @amandastas Minimalism: she uses a minimal style, the pictures are bright and with a lot of white. She plays with contrast colors black vs white.
- @mvb Dark: she uses dark colors, with a lot of contrast, to make the details stand out.
- @lenparent Colorful: she adds some strong colors to the pictures, as you can see the colors are more vibrant and intense.
- @emily_luciano Pink: is the main subject on her feeds, she uses soft colors to make pink stand out.
Try to choose the right color (you can try different themes and then decide which one is the best for you). Sometimes the picture can be pretty but if it doesn’t match your theme, it isn’t the right one.
For my theme, I’m using a blue light filter (A5). Then I desaturate a little bit the picture, I add some contrast and sometimes some blur to get a more vintage look.
Instagram theme Inspiration
LOOK AT YOUR INSTAGRAM FEED ALL TOGETHER
The main feature of Instagram is to look the pictures together, for this reason, it is so important to create a constant feed. You need to view your Instagram pictures together and not like separate images. When you are posting an image, think about how it will look like next to your other photos.
How to Plan your feed
I use Planoly (free for up to 30 posts/month), or UNUM (free app) to plan my feed. I import the photos I want to post and after that, I try to decide which picture is better near the other ones. I try to schedule the picture in advance so I can see all them together and how they look near each other. I don’t like to have all pictures of myself so I break them out with details or a negative space. This helps me match the colors.
I use Tailwind to schedule my pictures so they will be posted on the most engaging time.
I hope these tips help you create a great theme!
Remember this steps:
- Think about the theme
- Give yourself style rules,
- Use the same filter
- Decide in advance what you are going to post
What is going to be unique about you profile? What color are you going to use?
Check my Instagram Theme here!